Thursday, January 15, 2009

Hallelujah Comments by Astrological Sign

From Cohen: "I wanted to write something in the tradition of the hallelujah choruses but from a different point of view... It's the notion that there is no perfection ~ that this is a broken world and we live with broken hearts and broken lives but still that is no alibi for anything. On the contrary, you have to stand up and say hallelujah under those circumstances."

Cohen's original has now been viewed 6,323,398 times on youtube..


Scorpio - Tied you to a kitchen chair? What a turnon! But really this song has deep meanings that go way below the surface. It has a lot of Judaism in it, the Old Testament, spirituality.

Libra - At first I was sure Buckley's was the best, but then I took the time to listen to the other ones and I have to admit I was wrong.

Leo - It's about the big picture. It's so big I don't think a lot of people really get it. The only thing I don't get is, what does that mean "All I've ever learned from love is how to shoot somebody who outdrew you"?

Aries - Take a look at K. D. Lang's. She has the fire.

Cancer - It all went wrong? He said he'd been in that room before and he used to live alone. That's so sad. I hope he doesn't have to end up living alone.

Virgo - A shame he had to use "ya" to rhyme with "hallelujah". Is it really a 4th, a 5th? Better check that out. And how does that incident give "proof" of faith. It certainly isn't anything scientific. BTW it isn't the pop chart, it's the Christmas chart.

Taurus - Bathing at night in the moonlight .. nice touch.

Sagittarius - If you'd been anywhere, like I have, I've traveled to Tibet and done the Buddhist thing too, you would see the deep spirituality of this song and how the chord of David means saying the right thing at the right time to the right person in the right tone and pitch of voice, you know, so it's music to their ears.

Capricorn - Seems to me that he shouldn't have gotten involved with her. I mean if you say you can't feel then you shouldn't lead someone on.

Pisces - If your faith is strong, you don't need proof. This song is about heaven, about other worlds beyond this one, about the oneness of it all. There really is a blaze of light in every word. Who's to say it all went wrong? There's a bigger design.

Aquarius - At least he knows how the world is supposed to be. As to the versions, I think everyone should have the freedom to choose the one they like, and that all the opinions should be equal.

Gemini - Kinda tired of listening to it. The emotions are too complex, whatever he's saying. Makes my stomach hurt.

From BBC News Magazine's "Just whose hallelujah is it anyway?"

As the Bishop of Croydon put it in a recent Radio 2 documentary, "what it comes from is being open and transparent before God and the world and saying 'this is how it is, mate'".

Send us your comments on the song, and your zodiacal sign. Here are some early comments:

Leo with Cancer rising: Play this at my funeral. Play this and then Handel's real "Hallelujah Choris" and then send 'em home.

Taurus: I really like this version. I didn't realize how handsome he is. I guess I haven't seen his picture for decades!

Leo: To keep living in the face of inevitable “Bafflement” or God forbid, even despair we must agree to that last line. THAT is to praise the Lord, to agree to life, to be fully alive. It’s not whether it’s broken or holy but that you still say Hallelujah.

Erich (sign uknown): recommends Allison Crowe's version, a double Scorpio he says. "The song itself is just so emotionally resonant," said Crowe. Crowe, like Lang, like Cohen, is Canadian.

Announcer: It means totally different things to whoever listens to it, and whoever sings it.




CURRENT MOON







No comments: